Friday 20 May 2011

Loquat cake



After a long long brake from posting, I have something experimental to post now. Since living in Portugal now and getting to know all the fruits of the land I have many culinary experiments ahead of me.
Loquats have just ripened here and I had tried few commercial ones last year in Dublin, so I wasn't completely blind folded about the flavor. However, I must say that the ones from grandmothers loquat tree are so much more sweeter, juicier and also smaller, but that doesn't bother me much.
Since I haven't seen or heard anyone talking about making a cake with it here, I proudly took the challenge. Such a delicious fruit, so it must make a good cake.
Few days ago I spotted Martha Stewarts Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake somewhere in the internet pages. My loquat cake was made after this recipe, replacing rhubarb with loquats. I used about 400g peeled and deseeded loquats. That was about 20 fruits. And as usual, I reduce the butter and sugar amounts little bit.

Spreading the cake batter on loquats


Crumb topping which becomes a bottom



No comments: