Sunday 27 September 2009

Daring Bakers Vols-au-Vent


The September 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Steph of A Whisk and a Spoon. She chose the French treat, Vols-au-Vent based on the Puff Pastry recipe by Michel Richard from the cookbook Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan.
What a lovely challange! Well chosen! I couldnt see myself even on craziest baking times baking Vols-au-Vent. I must say that it was a second time for me to make puff pastry and I stayed 50-50 satisfied. Something was not right. I imagined that the dough would rise a bit more. I seemed as if it collapsed a bit as I took them out of the oven. Perhaps the industrial one has baking powder in it for staying so well structured. Oh well..
For the filling I chose something salty. Joao had his say here this time. He suggested mushroom, spinach and cheese filling. I added garlic from my side. I fried the mushrooms on the pan with garlic, added spinach, gave it a little toss. Sprinkled some flour on it for thickener, then some milk, to form nice sauce. When it all became nice and saucy then grated some mild cheddar in it. Came out pretty yummy.





So this is how these babies looked when coming straight from the oven. Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

s said...

look really mouthwatering..esp with their caps..